BWs Vintage Collectibles

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

How to Package and Ship Fenton Petticoat Ruffled Comport and Vase

Ok, so you have just sold your large Vintage Fenton Comport and you are bitter-sweet happy!! As you congratulate yourself on a great seller's campaign social media quest, you go to wrap it up--and you quickly realize you forgot to add shipping and handling supplies!!  Darn, and THEN you realize your wholesale bubble wrap supplies are very low and the next best thing is the big box store at $16.97 a small roll....and then as you deflate and your bitter-sweet turns to DARN you realize selling your Vintage Fenton just sucks sometimes.  BUT, I have a solution I want to share with you!!!
Not that any of the above has ever happened to me, I did just have this little rear-end saving solution I devised a few years ago--and had to use again this week....
* I always keep a small stash of thin cardboard boxes on hand for emergencies.
1)  I wrap my comport or vase completely with tissue
2) I fold a small Priority USPS box in half or other pliable cardboard
3) Place my comport upside down so the ruffles are completely covered flat wise by the cardboard.
4) Fold over the remaining edges of the board around the ruffles and tape up  over the sides
5) Depending on the size of the comport, you may use 2 or 3 boxes bringing the cardboards sides up
6) I wrap bubble wrap around them two ways, but if I did not have bubble wrap, I could mail without it and use newspaper because the cardboard covered all sides protecting the ruffles.
7)  I am sure to soften the surrounding vase with all it's wrap into a box with at least an inch on all sides
I am sure all of you have your own double box systems (which I almost always use) or something similar and this information is not new to you.  BUT I have to tell you, the other day I ordered 3 glass and porcelain items from an experienced(?)  seller for my personal collection of Vintage Lefton and Fenton, barely covered with newspaper and thrown in with each other and a bunch of old peanuts...Needless to say, the Lefton 2 tier dish was chipped. The other items arrived safely only by the grace of my guardian angels.
Even if you do not have a box that will fit in another box (double box system) perhaps you have a box you can cut to use in the manner I have described, if not- use the small USPS boxes but be sure to use the USPS service as a token of appreciation. 
Of course, I always use Priority mail, either Med, Large, or generic Priority boxes with labels from home.
 I used 3 for this comport (pictured above)

Here's the finished product put in with ruffles down, packed with newspaper for shock absorption and will go out Priority mail, USPS.

It is far better to get creative with your supplies and use what is on hand than to throw something into a box and pray.  If you don't have the correct supplies, perhaps you can cut up a smaller box and use the regular box anyway!!
It is so nice to read a feedback statement, "Awesome seller! Packaged well! Will use this seller again! AAAA++++"
THAT is the payment I really want to see in my bank of scores of which I am collecting...100% feedback and counting...
take care
-=brenda
BWs Vintage Collectibles

No comments:

Post a Comment