BWs Vintage Collectibles

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

You NEVER know what you might see in Las Vegas...

Well, here I go again...describing yet another true life reality adventure....while I was lost driving around in circles about 2 weeks ago on a Saturday...during the high wind....following garage sale and moving sale signs blown upside down, ripped in half, floating through the air, landing on bushes...all the while me, trying to figure out what a right arrow is doing on the left side of the road.  Nothing upsets me more than a big bright sign and me racing to that lane....only to discover the sign actually points to the other side of the street where I originally was at......WHO THE HECK WRITES THESE SIGNS ANYWAY? ...and then puts them up with one piece of tape...in the wind..?  WHO DOES THAT?  but while I was cursing otherwise idiotom world (me being one of them for doing this in the wind) I was turning my car around in yet ANOTHER cul-de-sac....I looked up, something just struck me, and I don't know why I looked up.....but right there, on Sunset and Arroyo Grande and some street with a cul-de-sac.....was a large, very large bird.....with these two horns on it's head...or what looked like horns.   It just sat stoic and solid, high up on a chimney no less!!!!  This bird scared the heck out of me!!!  like an old haunted movie...at first, I thought it was a Halloween decoration which was forgotten about....but NO!!!!  I stopped to watch (remember I was in a cul-de-sac).  This bird by my guesstimate, in comparing it to the chimney for size, was about the same in width!   It was rectangular, or so it seemed to me.  During this high wind, he was just sitting....and after a minute or so, turned his around, just his head.  His body never moved....and it occurred to me, "An owl" an OWL?   here, in the desert?   WHAT?  in the middle of the day? I spent  half my life living near a National Forest, and it is here, in this desert in the middle of Nevada I see a Great Horned Owl? I couldn't believe it.  But I did see it.  And then, there were a few scattered pine trees here and there on this side of Henderson....so, it did make sense.

Little kittens could easily disappear with this old bird around....a great mouse haven, and small dogs too...all would be great food for this predator.  Never in my life have I seen such a large Horned Owl, so huge and magnificent....and if there was anything I remember that day besides all that wind, was the perfectly contented HUGE owl who sat on top of someone's chimney, scoping out his restaurant....watching me as I watched him or her....both respectful of each other and both wondering what the other one was doing...

I am pretty sure he was having more fun than me though......how fun would that be to  swivel your head completely around.....and not fall down.  When you are sober.

Henderson neighbors, please keep your kitties inside.  I personally know how fast small animals can disappear with a Great Horned Owl sitting in your backyard.  Just sayin......
-=brenda         BWs Vintage Collectibles

stores.ebay.com/bws-vintage-collectibles

Stop by and visit!   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Poker-Cards-Mug-Set-4-Boxed-12-oz-Royal-Flush-Designs-Novelty-Porcelain-/171018804086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d183db76

No comments:

Post a Comment